Tuesday, December 3, 2013

*MOONWINKS* ..& A Christmas Decor DIY!


I couldn't think of a better first blog post than one of Thanksgiving and a trip to our beloved family cabin, Moonwinks! 

I think the Holidays are hands-down the best time of year. I look forward to them for months before they actually hit and the weather begins to turn. (At least as much as weather "turns" here in sunny southern California.) This year I have had a particularly difficult time getting into the feel of the Holiday Season and I am attributing it to our perpetually sunny, warm weather this fall and winter. I can say that after our day trip up to the family cabin and two delicious Thanksgiving celebrations, I'm "feeling" it! ;) 


We started Thanksgiving day off with a long walk down at the bay to prepare ourselves for the endless amounts of Turkey and delicious stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casseroles and PIE! Then it was off to the Siskowic Thanksgiving at Kyle's mom's. She graciously hosted the whole family on both of Kyle's sides, and it was such a fun gathering having everyone together for one big celebrationUnfortunately we were having so much fun that I forgot to take many pictures throughout the afternoon. That's just what happens when Uncle Ross comes to town :0)    
       
                                      


                                            The turkey carver.. and Uncle Ross!




Left Overs to-go .. I thought this was such a smart idea! Leave it to my mother-in-law, the art teacher to come up with such an idea!



Then we were off to my parents for Round 2! It was just an intimate gathering this year with the immediate family (very rare for us), but it was nice just to all be under one roof again. My mom has a way of making the holidays so special. I hope I am half as good at it one day. This year was particularly special though as we got to celebrate as a family for the first time with our newest member, my BIL Pete! ;) 



               

      I love what she did with the mantle this year. Greenery, hazelnuts, almonds and walnuts.

                                             
                                                                                          You have to wear an apron to be in mom's kitchen..
       


After stuffing ourselves, twice, the next day we headed up to the family cabin with my mom & dad, siblings and some friends for a little detox and fresh air. There is nothing like being up at Moonwinks. I'm sure all my cousins would attest to this. I understand the feeling of freedom more clearly there than I ever have elsewhere. We have been blessed to have grandparents that will share it with us. 




Thanks to the boys' efforts.. we got warm by the fire!

        





Down to the lake~




Bear is in Heaven here.





                                      Mom at her favorite place :)
                             
                        


     
                                
                               The Boys
The Ladies.. and a photo-bomber named Bear

                                                                            
                                                                                                       The Youngins'


         



Then for the most exhilarating part of the day--a little shooting lesson from dad. I'm a terrible shot.




But my favorite part of the mountains.. Undoubtedly still our swing :0)





~I couldn't pass up the opportunity while there to take a little piece of nature home with us for a Christmas DIY craft. I decided on painted acorns. I tried to do this a couple of years ago  but never got around to actually doing anything with the ones I found. I discovered them in a Vons bag in my garage months after the holiday had passed.~ 


With help from my sweet sis I went on a hunt for the fresh collection. They were EVERYWHERE. 
   
                 
                                                    Finding them with their little hats still on.. a different story. 
                                                                   






The final collection. 




Once home, I gorilla glued the hats that had fallen off on the way home to make sure they were well secured. Then rinsed them clean, and put them in a warm oven (about 200 degrees) for 15 minutes to dry out before painting. 



I thought it would be nice to have some relief and do a few acorns in a champagne spray, and the rest in metallic gold. 


I have had a really hard time finding a good spray paint that is a true metallic gold, but I finally found a great one that Home Depot carries-- Rust-Oleum Specialty Metallic with "Bright Reflective Finish". 


                                


Wa La~! 




              I loved the way the finished product came out! They're fun just to sprinkle around   
                                            the house for a little sparkle and Christmas fun.   


                                                           Next trip.. mistletoe! 
                               






4 comments:

  1. Love the blog, and all the decor ideas! I haven't been up to the cabin in a few years--jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stef! You Gerow sisters inspired me to get going! You need to get up there soon. Maybe we could all go up together *in the snow* for Christmas at some point when you're home? Will Austin be coming to town too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) That would be awesome! Yes, he'll be here too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you started a blog! I hope you stick with it. I have been missing Palomar so much lately. I'm jealous too!

    ReplyDelete

This site was made with ♥ by Angie Makes